Get In Touch With A Low Wage Teleporter



Monday, July 12, 2021

The HomeBrew Forum

The HomeBrew Forum


Carb drops question. Help a newbie out

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 07:50 PM PDT

Hi all.

First time poster, been lurking since I started brewing a few months back

Brand new to the hobby and having tons of fun! Only using kit's for now to learn about it all.

So far I've done 3 brews. The one that came with my starter kit (Derby Spire IPA), a Coopers Draught and a cider recipe I found on Facebook brew group.

Stuck the IPA in a King Keg and bottled the Coopers and cider. IPA was delicious even though I had all sorts of problems with a leaking kk cap (the cap was fine...

Carb drops question. Help a newbie out

St Stefanus Blonde

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 05:39 PM PDT

A had a bottle of this for the first time at the weekend.

It is an exceptional beer and there were a couple of questions I have about how it is made.

The head was superb and possibly the most appetising beer foam I have ever come across. It was light but kept its form to the very end. It had the consistency of a light whipped cream, Does anyone have any insight on how they achieve this?

They also use a proprietary yeast in their bottle conditioning, which they call "Jerumanus". There is...

St Stefanus Blonde

Yeast pitch in American IPA

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 05:20 PM PDT

I intend to do the recipe for the American IPA from the Greg Hughes book next weekend and had a query about dry yeast pitch rate. I have entered the recipe into brewfather and also checked a few calculators online and they are suggesting 2 X 11g packets of yeast for the 1.060 estimated OG

If I was to hit the target OG, I don't have 2 packets of the yeast I want to use, so could I build a starter from dry yeast packet to increase cell count ? I've read in several places where starters...

Yeast pitch in American IPA

Anna's Brewdays

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 04:30 PM PDT

So I guess I'm rather new here so I hope it's ok to start a thread here, I think it might be more useful than the written records I keep.

Today trying a stepped starter for the first time since the packs of Lallemand diamond yeast I have are not even remotely close to the pitch rate I'm looking for the two lagers I'm looking to do this weekend. I had thought of just doing one but if I'm going to tie up my fermenting fridge for weeks at a low temperature I thought I might as well make best...

Anna's Brewdays

Dextrine malt for head retention

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 02:33 PM PDT

My beers seem a weak in terms of head retention - especially the bitters which I prefer to carb only very lightly.
I'm wondering whether a bit of dextrine malt might be an idea to help with this. The Simpsons stuff says "use sparingly (up to 5%) to add body and foam stability" but I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using this type of malt

Ta

Completed AG Recipe Kits-GEB/MM

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 01:36 PM PDT

Been a bit slack with posting up my brew day activity etc since I became more active on the forum. So here's a couple of posts on Ag brew kits from Get Er Brewed which have served me pretty well. As a new AG brewer I leaned towards these kits as it takes away a bit of stress regarding recipe creation enabling you to concentrate on your methods/processes whilst getting to know your equipment...
Maybe others can recommend or give feedback on these type of kits. As I've found them to be pretty...

Completed AG Recipe Kits-GEB/MM

The Range MYO Kits

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 01:28 PM PDT

The range have knocked £4 off their wine kits ,think it may also include cider n beer but not sure .The white comes down to £15.99 and Red n Rose 20.99 .Prices instore havnt changed but they deduct £4 per kit at checkout .The online price shows the discount already applied :)

John Bull Traditional English Ale Kit - Log

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 01:25 PM PDT

Newbie to the home brew world, during the first covid lockdown I was helping out my Dad clean through the shed to which all his old brewing kit caught my eye. Silly me used a 20 year old kit without even thinking about it. The brew was so so bad (awful taste, tasting of CO2, extremely gassy and stout colour for a larger kit!), I had made sure to keep everything sterile ect. This summer I emptied all the bottles and wanted to try with a clean slate. Looked around and picked this John...

John Bull Traditional English Ale Kit - Log

1ft heater for inkbird

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 01:18 PM PDT

I am setting up my fridge to control fermentation temperatures and i am getting a Inkbird ITC-308Thermostat to hook up to my fridge , I just want to make sure this heater will work 1ft , Or if anyone has a better heater option that is in stock , Its mainly for lager brews .
HYCO TUBULAR HEATER 1, 2, 3, 4, FOOT TUBE KENNEL GREENHOUSE SHED CARAVAN GARAGE | eBay

Company closing offering clearance sale

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 01:15 PM PDT

Thought some may find this site of interest as they are offering special discounts on a closing down sale

https://kegged.co.uk/products/ols/categories/clearance

Nicks90's Brewdays

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 12:18 PM PDT

Far too many of my brew posts now - so time to consolidate them all in to one thread!

AG#1 - Best Bitter

Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 16 liters
Boil Size: 19 liters


FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - Maris Otter Pale (93%)
0.2 kg - Crystal 60L (4.7%)
0.1 kg - Crystal 140L (2.3%)

HOPS:
20 g - Challenger, 30 min,
10 g - East Kent Goldings, 5 min,
10 g - Fuggles, 0 min,

Ended up with OG of 1.058 so diluted with 2l to bring it down to 1.048 and ABV of 4.8%

bloody marvelous pint. Maybe a...

Nicks90's Brewdays

Bedford British ale yeast

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 12:14 PM PDT

Does anyone know anything about wlp006 Bedford British ale yeast and where it originates?

The 'Recommend me a TV series' thread

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 12:04 PM PDT

Just one episode of series 4 of The Americans left to watch before moving on to series 5.

For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's set during the cold war and is the story of two Russian agents living a 'normal' family life in America.

The pace has never dropped over four series and I've enjoyed every episode. Brilliant TV. Oh, and Keri Russell is absolutely gorgeous, which also helps.

Which TV series would you recommend?

Chloride and Sulphate water tests

Posted: 12 Jul 2021 11:46 AM PDT

Hi, Can anyone advise me how to test my tap water for Chloride and Sulphate? I've seen test kits that cost £300! I've bought aquarium test kits for hardness, alkalinity and Ca but can't find an inexpensive way to test for above. Thanks in advance

0 comments:

Post a Comment


[Get] Deals On Wine Products. RSS Feeds Page #1




How To Make Wine YouTube Videos And Home Brewing Products




YouTube Channels / Beer Magazines / Beer Podcasts / Beer Blogs With Rss Feeds !